Friday, November 11, 2011

Siem Reap, Cambodia

TUK TUK! TUK TUK! TUK TUK! ( x2 of Thailand )
Ladies rushing out of Siem Reap airport!!!!!!


Millions of people visit the infamous Angkor Wat every year. I respect and am amazed at the architecture, culture, history, and everything about the Angkor Wat. Well it is a UNESCO world heritage site. In short, a sandy square within a watery square. With the mad weather of November, every step seems to be worked hard for.

In a group of 8 and me being the stranger, I must say I enjoyed myself heaps. Many would expect petty arguments and disagreements but this trip went by quite smoothly despite some hiccups that we were all involved in and literally 'argued' as a team. Haha! I found out that the Aspara Authority and staff who man the Angkor Wat are people with high integrity and respect for the positions they hold. 'NO BRIBE' even if you are 'THE BRIDE'.

Every 10 minutes or so you will get the 'onedollar' treatment! Kids, street peddlars, grannies, babies who can barely say a word, poking stuff up your face and trying to sell you something. Can be quite scary if you are alone. They come in a pack and are every ready to run at you. I pity them but there are only so many onedollar I can use to buy things that I don't need. Hey! I work hard for my money too.

Cockles by the road, get them salted or with chili
 My housekeeper is Cambodian and she claims that the cockles are not cooked in any way but by the rays of the sun. They use the heat from the sun to 'cook' them. She confirms that I would get the squirts if I did try it.
Sausages and I don't know what the fuck are the ones around it. Looks gory!

Ferrari in Cambodia. The fastest in town.

Tasteless BBQ bananas.

Tuk tuk pride! These are hagglers especially when they take you far far away without other tukkkkks around!

According to the van driver, this place is a rip off. USD 12!!! He says to go to the one in Phnom Penh instead. USD 3.

Great to know the kids have pencils at least.
It's such a wonder how much 1 USD can do for the people in Cambodia. My heart aches at sights like these. Just too much sometimes. I gave a 1 USD tip and girl gave me a really big smile and thanked and blessed me on my way out. I tipped a lady 5 USD and she was screaming ecstatically as if she struck gold. That was equivalent to one days parking fees for me. It's not little but not enough to make me scream. I felt sad but I am no millionaire. 

No comments: