Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Thai Thonglor 55 - Edgewater Blvd, Maribyrnong, VIC

If you drive past the little Edgewater complex you wouldn't be able to spot it because somehow all the shops look the same and more or less the same shade of colour. In the evenings, the sun reflection doesn't do much help other than reflect off the mirrors of the shop and make this little gem look really dark and not really attention grabbing.

This is our first time here.

I was a bit shocked when the waitress handed over to me the MENU! It's as thick as a wedding photo album.
They have quite an ambience in here with Thai decorations with a DURIAN sitting in that plastic fruit tray.
But I guess, with a lil it of history and BTS writings, the Menu shouldn't be too hard to digest.
Funky cutlery
As you can see, the Thai Iced Tea does have the same colour as the ones you get on the streets and restaurants in Thailand. The taste is almost similar and it was just nice.
Por Pia Tod or fried spring rolls aren't too bad either. But at one point I didn't realise it was chicken, I thought it was some other meat like the ones you get with Vietnamese broken rice.
Tom Yum Chicken - Not spicy, just the right sweet and sour. But a bit small.
Pad Thai - The noodles were a bit al dente, but however, I enjoyed it. Not too oily and you can taste that the beansprouts are fresh. This dish is a must try. However, on the next day we ordered take away and it just hardened into one chunk of noodles and just didn't do justice to what I tasted when dining in.
Moo Yang - marinated pork. This was our favourite dish that we ordered. Tender, tasty and I wonder what's in the Chef's special BBQ sauce?
Kao Pad - Thai fried rice. Nothing to shout about, other than the prawns were generous sized, the veges were fresh maybe except the green peas. 
Point to note: DO NOT TAKE AWAY! Few days later my husband ordered some take away Pad Thai for me and I was very excited. But when I opened the take away box, I could see the whole pack of noodles were stiff and dry. It had a very strong smell in it. It seems like it was pre packed or something i'm not too sure. It really killed it for me and I hardly had a quarter of it and binned it. Wasted!

Thai Thonglor 55 on Urbanspoon
(opposite ALDI or next to Sambal Kampung)

No comments: