Sunday, March 20, 2011

An Auditor's life

Though not long enough to see changes and to be absorbed into a deadly believe that 14-16 working hours is normal I decided to quit. Not after did I quit that I realised how much a person has to sacrifice to be an auditor and yes I know that other professions are prolly worse or deadlier.


The first few months of work, all I did was learn as much as I could and work as much as I could. Doing about 15 hours a day 5 days a week. No proper meals and no proper rest. Sat and Sun was just zonked out days. Had some bad experiences and had some good ones. Never saw my friends and family much. Never had time to take a long ass shower. Shitting was even a problem. Sounds extreme? Not really. Apparently other people are doing 20 hrs without sleep and shit like that. Sorry, I am not one of those who don't see a point in having a life during their first few years of working.


Working hard I believe does not necessarily mean success but rather if you work hard to improve and progress in your career then only are you working hard for the right reasons. I felt like I was doing time in prison. Datelines are not really a problem but rather the mundaness of the first 5 years you have to endure to see a change in that particular career. Gimme one year and I pretty much realised this is not for me. I felt like the only person I could communicate with was profit & loss reports.


Anyway, I started to lose my personality and lost the skills to communicate to real human beings. They say you shouldn't 'bring work back home' but how am I to escape it when I literally have to bring work home to do and sleep at ungodly hours. I did what I have to do and I never missed a promotion as much as they say its default but there always a missed opportunity. But so what? Other than gaining more knowledge, I was losing myself. I totally had no interest besides work but to find time to sleep. Weekends were my getaway but before I could wind down from the weekdays it was Monday again.




My workmates kept me sane. My family were supportive. But I love myself too much to miss all the family gatherings and my health. To all my ex-workmates, remember to put yourself before work as we are replaceable. If you need to chuck a sickie just do it. We all deserve a day off to sleep in with our mobile phones switched off! Love you all in CSU 4.


Goodbye cramped spaces although I love the connection and warmth...smelly feet is not my thing!

No comments: